Friday, June 5, 2015

Our progress with Catch a Falling Star

This week was a bit of a strange one. My eight month old boy wasn't in the mood to sleep, which left me in pretty much a zombie-like state most of the time. One thing I did discover, though, is that I can still manage to write gamedev-related code, much to my surprise!

Firstly, I almost finished up the starting screen for Catch a Falling Star, will be sending that to Jayson to implement during the course of this morning. Here's the final result:



Very happy with the end results, and I learned a ton of stuff with Unity's UI building - in fact, I'm busy working on a tutorial on how I achieved the above stuff. I pulled out copious amounts of hair in making this, so I thought I might as well give back to the Indie Development community and maybe spare someone a little less patient that I the same turmoil! When I finished with the menu, I had about 50 browser tabs open!

The tricky part was to get the various UI elements to scale properly for different screen resolutions - it turned out I had a setting wrong on the Canvas itself. Catch a Falling Star will mainly be a mobile game, and not all phones have the same resolution - but, we're also planning to maybe put it up on Steam for a dollar or two, and then we'll have even more aspect ratios and resolutions to think of.

In the end, though, it worked out, and it's looking great! Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment