Thursday, July 30, 2015

Upgraded to Windows 10 today

That's right, I decided to break character and for the first time ever I've installed a new version of Windows as soon as it became available. Windows 10. Probably because it's free for everyone with a legit copy of Windows 7 and 8.1.

Firstly, I thought it would go a bit more automatic, since I opted in with the icon in the taskbar months ago already. I thought it would at least notify me that it started downloading or something, but no such message.

After reading up on several sites, I saw that the downloading happens pretty much silently in the background - no wonder my internet was slow yesterday.

Looking on my C: drive, I saw 2 hidden folders $Windows.~WS and $Windows.~BT - I saw them growing, so I assumed the download was happening.

I left it until this morning. I started up my PC and waited for something to happen. Nothing happened. I decided bugger that, I'm gonna start this thing manually - I went into the WS folder, and in there was a Windows sub folder, which had a setup file. I doubled clicked it. This dark blue window popped up, and it looks like the installation was under way, or at least the preparation for it.

At one stage it came to a screen where the tool checked if I had any programs installed that is not compatible with 10. It found only one - Daemon Tools. I uninstalled it, and let it continue :)

Now, if you plan on doing the upgrade please remember to backup. I did as well. Just for in case, you know. The installation went on without a hitch, and within an hour or so, I was back in Windows again. What? That simple? This cannot be! First issue I notice, not a big one, was that my second screen wasn't on, and that the resolution for my number 1 screen was not set to the native resolution for it - I immediately knew this was graphics card driver issues.

I headed on over to nVidia's site, and downloaded the latest drivers for my GTX750. This time I selected Windows 10 64bit - was a tad weird not choosing Windows 7 from the list...

I installed the driver after it finished downloading, and my second screen popped on.

I tried some of my programs - they all worked. Photoshop, yes. phpDesigner, yes. Can it really be this simple?

I was even pleasantly surprised to find I have MORE space on my C: drive after Windows 10's installation! About 10gig more!

So, my first day on Windows 10 is almost over. And, it works. So far at least. I'm still sitting here with my mouth slightly open, waiting for something to break, but so far so good. Oh, except for the Music app, it's crap, so I switched back to media player again (every time I minimize it, the music would stop playing haha!)

Oh, and Unity. Unity also works - it had a small licensing issue but it sorted it out automatically with my help.

Let's see how the rest of my Windows 10 journey will go... I'll keep everyone posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment